| Me and Helen before watching our first birth |
There was one woman who was actually my age. This was her first kid and when they brought her into the birthing room I could tell she was terrified and obviously in a lot of pain. She kept crying out for someone to hold her hand but none of the doctors made the move to do so. It's weird but the women aren't allowed to bring their husbands or boyfriends or family with them, not even to the room where they wait to dilate enough. They just have to suffer through their contractions alone and the doctors and nurses walk by as if nothing's happening. Anywho, when this one woman cried out for someone to hold her hand I walked over to her side and grabbed it. I held her hand through the whole thing and even afterward while they stitched her up. I could tell she was really thankful and later when I passed her in her bed (which was literally in the hallway for lack of space in the rooms), she was holding her brand new baby girl newly decked out in a pink onesie and blankie. We talked for a second and then she asked me to hold her baby while she signed some of the paperwork the nurse had for her. I love babies. Her girl was SO cute.
So after a very eventful morning, I'm still kind of floating in the clouds. (Though I'm definitely reconsidering my decision to have my own kids. That was kind of brutal and I think that's about all the birth control I need for a long while. Heh.) I'm thinking tomorrow I'm going to check out surgery. This rotation is so incredible.
No comments:
Post a Comment