Monday, October 25, 2010

Done, Done, Done!

Done with the midterm! As of Friday at 5pm, I am officially free. It's such a great feeling.  I didn't expect to be so crunched for time but it did get a little stressful the last couple days.  Also, I sent my rough draft to my professor and the morning before it was due she wrote me back saying that I needed to rewrite part of it because I didn't answer her question correctly.  I'd argue otherwise but I changed it anyways.  After all, she is the one grading it! Hehe.

How Alyssa and I celebrated during Friday's lecture
I don't really have too many updates except from clinic on Friday.  I ended up skipping clinic Thursday so I could work on the midterm and on Friday we only saw two patients but I thought they were both pretty interesting cases.  I can finally say that my million and two UTIs have come in handy! One of the patients we saw was an 8 year old boy who had a fever, was feeling dizzy, and throwing up.  Turns out not too long before he had had a UTI and Dr. Tenorio suspected that that infection was never fully controlled.  It's really rare for boys to get UTIs, so Tenorio sent him to get some scans and tests done to make sure there wasn't any sort of structural abnormality.

The other patient we saw was a much younger boy, probably around 2.  He had also been having flu-like symptoms but it turned out not to be the flu at all. I don't know how Dr. Tenorio figured this out from what the mom described, but I guess he must have been looking for it. The boy had tiny faint pinkish/red sores under his tongue, on the palms of his hands, and barely visible on the bottoms of his feet.  The disease is called Mano-Pie-Boca. I just googled it and it does translate to English (Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease).  I've never heard of it but it's apparently fairly common and is caused by the same virus as the mumps.  Dr. Tenorio took out one of his medical books for me so that I could read about it.  The pic below is a google imaged pic of the sores.  The one on the kid we saw were much less prominent.

Mano-Pie-Boca Enfermedad
Anyways, there's no treatment for the disease but from what I understand it usually disappears after a couple weeks.

Also, I should probably update you all on some of the amazing food I've had lately:
  • Mexican Hamburguesas and Hot Dogs-- If you think McDonalds is artery clogging, you should see how they do them here.  Hamburgers and hot dogs come complete with grilled unions, tomatoes, jalapeños, pineapple, cheese, bacon/ham, mustard, mayo, and ketchup. 
How Mexicans Do Hot Dogs
  • Coconut Oaxaqueño Nieve-- Nieves are the traditional Oaxacan ice cream. They're kind of half way between an Icee and ice cream. Coconut is def my favorite thus far.
  • Condensed Milk Filled Churro-- From a shop called Señor Churro. Amazing.
Condensed Milk Filled Churro
  • Champurrado (Chocolate Atole)-- Our mom served us this a couple times for breakfast.  It tastes like the thickest, richest, most wonderful hot chocolate you've ever had. :) 
  • PIZZA!!-- There's this really nice Italian restaurant here called Mezzaluna. Ally, Helen, and I went on Saturday and split a pizza.  It was my first non-Mexican food in 5 weeks! I can't say I've really been missing American food all that much but that pizza was the most heavenly thing ever!! Also, our waiter was really nice and brought us extra bruschetta and mezcal shots for free. May I just make note that the bruschetta was pretty decently spicy. Mexican bruschetta maybe? Haha.
Tomato, Garlic, Olive Oil Pizza From Mezzaluna

    No comments:

    Post a Comment