I think I spent almost all summer in LA complaining about how cold and foggy it was. Well let me just tell you.. it is HOT here. Plus somehow the two other girls in my house and my host mom convinced me to change out of shorts and into pants this morning. Badd idea. Tomorrow I will definitely be wearing shorts. But anywho, let me back up a bit and fill you in.
I got in last night a little after 10. I was soo exhausted from traveling all day and trying to navigate the Mexico City airport (which, mind you, is huge) with 80lbs of luggage was definitely not fun. I'm actually a little sore today from dragging my suitcase and duffel yesterday. Anyways my host mom, Mercedes, picked me up from the airport in Oaxaca when I got here and brought me back to the house. It wasn't nearly as awkward as I was anticipating. She's a really really sweet lady, used to be a school teacher, and I was actually surprised at how well I understood her. I was also pleasantly surprised when I got to the house because not only do I have my own room (complete bed, desk, couch, and pretty decent size closet) but I have my own bathroom! Never have I ever had my own bathroom!!
So this morning I got up at 7:30 and showered before breakfast. We had pancakes and fruit for breakfast.. "Para que no te extraño tu primer dia," is what our host mom said. Haha. I like her. Also, I forgot to mention there are two other girls from the program living in the house too, Leslie and Maria. We each have our own room though. Anywho, after breakfast our host mom walked us to the language school, Becari, where we met up with the rest of our group and then we walked another half hour to get to Hotel Anturios where our Chicano Studies classes are going to be held. We spent all morning and part of the afternoon getting briefed on the program and we got our cell phones! Yay. I'll be able to receive texts/calls on that so I'll get you guys the number soon. Also I tried chapulines (aka grasshoppers) for the first time!
They were flavored with lemon and salt and were actually not so bad.
Anywho, we're just about to leave for dinner so I gotta run. But more updates coming soon! Miss you guys already!

No comments:
Post a Comment