Last night Michelle, Helen, Alyssa, and I went on a long walk along the beach at sunset. I will never get sick of watching the sun set here. It's gorgeous.
When it finally got dark, we decided to take a taxi to the big market here, Súper Che. I bought way too much food, including a bag of chocolate covered raisins which I probably ate half of before I got to the check out line.
When we came back Michelle came downstairs to use our oven. She was baking a surprise cookie cake thing for Sarah, who had to leave today. Her mom is terminally ill and hasn't been doing very well lately so she's going home to be with her. The cookie was sort of like a going away present which was nice. In any case, I'm pretty sure Michelle tried to burn down our room in the process because the cookie started spilling over the edges while it was baking and then dropped down to the bottom of the oven where it turned into smokey ash. Our entire room was filled with smoke, which is when we realized our room did not come equipped with a smoke detector. How safe. In the end though, the part of the cookie that was still left on the pan turned out pretty good and I think Sarah appreciated it which is what counts. It was pretty sad having to say goodbye to her today but it was great to see the whole group come together as one and see her off. I'm pretty sure she got a hug from every single person on our program.
This afternoon we had an activity planned to visit Laguna Manialtepec. Once we got there we divided up into 3 different motorboats which took us around the lagoon.
I really don't know what's so significant about the lagoon except that a lot of different birds migrate there in the winter and it was kind of pretty. After about 30 or 40 minutes we stopped at this beach. The distance between the edge of the lagoon and the beginning of the ocean was only a couple hundred yards and it was really really pretty because the sun was just starting to set. Some of us started up a game of soccer on the sand which was fun but I fell way too many times and it was too humid outside for the sand to fall off your skin so it just kind of collected there. Kinda uncomfortable. After the sun set, we took the motorboats back to where the vans were waiting for us. Some people were sad we couldn't stay longer. Apparently once it gets completely dark you can swim in the lagoon and it lights up neon green around you because of the bioluminescence. Unfortunately the van drivers wanted to charge us a little too much more than it was worth so we decided to come back.
Now I'm sitting out at our little table on the patio with Ally, Angela, Erica, and Michelle. I really haven't gotten any work done. It's hard to do anything productive here. Oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment